Diathesis in children and newborns occurs quite often. Its cause is the immaturity of the baby’s immune system. The extract of diathesis is that it is a true allergy to certain foods. The second name for diathesis is atopic dermatitis.
Symptoms of diathesis in children
The first and main symptom of diathesis in children is a rash on the body. But do not be mistaken, believing that diathesis is reduced only to a rash.
It also covers the mucous membranes and internal organs. This is a global inflammatory process. Symptoms of diathesis in children and newborns are:
- Redness on the legs, arms, buttocks, and face
- Diaper rash in the armpits and inguinal folds, under the knees, behind the ears
- A yellowish crust in the area of the scalp on the head. It must be carefully lubricated with baby cream or oil, and carefully combed out after each bath.
1. Mom, being pregnant, consume a lot of allergen products (chocolate, citrus fruits, foods high in dyes and flavors). During breastfeeding, they should also be left.
2. Hereditary tendency to allergies
3. Violation of the digestive tract
4. Disturbance of the intestinal microflora
5. Bad ecology
6. Overfeeding the baby
7. Complementary foods are introduced too early
8. Complementary foods are selected or prepared incorrectly.
Diathesis can be a result of Dysbiosis, as well as other problems with the digestion of food. The baby’s stomach cannot digest cereal protein or there are not enough enzymes to break down cow’s milk protein.
How to treat diathesis in children
To cure diathesis in a newborn baby, first of all, you need to consult an experienced doctor. He will most likely prescribe an antihistamine. It is able to relieve itching and swelling. But such drugs do not have a therapeutic effect, they simply relieve the symptoms.
The most effective way to treat allergies is to take drugs that will remove allergens and toxins from the baby’s body. Only a doctor should prescribe specific drugs! First of all, he will advise you to make a correction in the mother’s diet (if the baby is breastfeeding).
He will also select the correct feeding scheme for the child. From the diet, you will definitely have to exclude those foods that can provoke an allergy. With diathesis, vitamin complexes are often prescribed.
They help maintain the balance of nutrients (minerals and vitamins) in the body of the crumbs. It helps his body to produce the necessary enzymes that will help to cope with allergens.
Is it possible to treat diathesis with folk remedies?
Once again, we insist that only a doctor should prescribe treatment and establish a diagnosis! He should also be consulted if you plan to use folk remedies. They can complement the main treatment.
The main folk remedies for the treatment of diathesis in children:
1. It is useful for a baby to bathe in chamomile or a string. These herbs relieve inflammation on the skin and remove redness, itching, and heat. Pour dry grass with hot water (2-3 liters) and simmer for 15 minutes over low heat (a tablespoon per glass of water).
Let the decoction brew for 30 minutes, strain, and add to the baby’s bath before bathing in the evening.
2. The affected parts of the skin can be lubricated with fir oil ointment. Take fir oil (1 part), and mix with a good baby cream (3 parts). It is better if the cream also contains vitamin C. The resulting ointment should be lubricated in the morning and evening on the affected areas of the baby’s skin.
Measures to prevent diathesis
Diathesis can and should be prevented. For this it is enough:
1. Introduce complementary foods correctly (from 6 months). It’s best to start with vegetables.
2. Do not eat or minimize the consumption of chocolate, honey, sugar, and other sweets;
3. Children under one year should not be given fish broths and fish;
4. Do not eat citrus fruits, fatty and rich cookies (if breastfeeding);
5. Introduce fruit juices and purees into complementary foods very carefully. Talk to your pediatrician about how best to do this. Eliminate tomato, grape, citrus, pomegranate, and carrot juice;
6. Enter the eggs carefully. You need to start with 1/8 of the yolk. Protein should not be given, as it can cause allergies.
If you take care of the health of the crumbs from the first days of his life, and later introduce complementary foods. Then there will be no problems with allergies. If diathesis still appears, then strictly follow the recommendations of your doctor.