ALLERGIES Food Allergy

Pickle Allergy – Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and More

Pickle Allergy

Pickle is the resulting food of preserving or extending the shelf life of food by immersion in vinegar. We all love pickles from the big juicy dills to the sweet pickles that decorate our dinner tables. But sadly, despite their taste, it causes pickle allergy in many people.

Pickle allergy is a food allergy and can occur in both children and adults. Generally, its symptoms appear suddenly after taking of pickle. However, you can experience symptoms or side effects after some time. It is a negative reaction of the body’s immune system to a particular substance in a pickle.

If you have started adverse reactions after having pickles, continue reading to know more about it. This article will help you to know about pickle allergy symptoms, causes, risk factors, treatment, and more.


Allergy to pickles does not occur from the pickles themselves, but from the preservatives used in the pickling process. These preservatives are often found in many foods other than pickles and cause allergies. They are the main cause in most people, however, there are other causes, which may include.

  • Vinegar
  • Specific Vegetables
  • Spices e.g., cinnamon, cloves, and garlic
  • Sodium Sulfite
  • Sodium Bisulfite
  • Sodium Metabisulfite

It can also be that in the pickle of a specific vegetable, the vegetable is the cause of an allergic reaction. For example, if you are allergic to mangos, the mango pickles may cause allergy symptoms. Moreover, the spices used in pickles may also cause allergies in most people.

Different Pickle jars with vegetables are isolated on the table in the garden.

Pickle Allergy Symptoms

The symptoms of pickle allergy are much related to other food allergy symptoms. If you have ever experienced this allergy previously then you may be allergic to ingredients in pickles. The sign and symptoms can occur immediately or maybe within one hour after eating a pickle. The most common symptoms are:

  • Itching and redness on the skin
  • Tingling in the mouth, tongue, and palate
  • Itchy rash (hives)
  • Stomach Pain
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Swelling of lips and tongue
  • Wheezing
  • Shortness of breath
  • Hay fever

In most severe cases, this allergy can cause anaphylaxis a life-threatening reaction. It occurs rarely in most severe cases and can worse quickly. The symptoms are:

  • Chest tightness
  • Swollen tongue
  • Feeling dizzy or faint
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Trouble Speaking

It is a medical emergency, if you feel any of the above symptoms, you need quick treatment. Consult your doctor immediately before the symptoms get worsen.

Side Effects

Pickle is much-consuming food and is good for health if consumed in moderation. Besides, there are some side effects of pickles that may be dangerous.

  • Esophageal Cancer
  • Gastric Cancer
  • Heart Diseases
  • Hypertension
  • Increase in blood pressure
  • Increase in cholesterol

To avoid these harmful effects, avoid using commercial pickles. These pickles are prepared with different chemicals and artificial flavors. In commercial pickles, there is too much oil content that is harmful to health.


If you having negative reactions after eating pickles is the best time to consult an allergist. Make an appointment with an allergist and make sure whether you are allergic to pickles or not.

In the clinic, the allergist will perform several allergy tests to confirm pickle allergy. He may ask about your previous medical history and may perform physical tests.

He may perform the skin prick test to figure out the main cause of the allergy to pickles. The allergist may also consider a specific IgE blood test to confirm your particular allergy.

After this process, he will confirm whether you are allergic to pickles or not. If your tests are negative or you have an allergy to pickles, he will schedule your treatment plan.

Pickle Allergy Treatment

The treatment of allergy to pickles depends on the severity of your symptoms. The easiest way to avoid future allergies is to avoid the specific preservatives present in pickles. However, over-the-counter medicines and common vitamins can help to treat allergies. These are:

Always consult a board-certified allergist for diagnosis and treatment purposes. He will prescribe you medicines according to the severity of your symptoms. Self-medication will be harmful, therefore, do not take medicine more than the prescribed dosage.

Can I be allergic to pickle juice?

Yes, you may be allergic to pickle juice if you are allergic to pickles. Because this allergy occurs to preservatives present in it rather than the pickles themselves.

The pickle juice consists of vinegar, water, salt, and natural flavor (dill). All of these ingredients in pickle juice do not provide any calories or carbohydrates.


In the conclusion, an allergic reaction to pickles occurs due to the preservative used in the pickle. The symptoms may be similar to other food allergy symptoms or may be severe. It is the best idea to visit the doctor when you experience the first allergy symptom.

Note: The information provided above is just for information purposes not for medical use. So always visit your allergy specialist at the initial stage of the disease before getting it worsens. For more information and any additional questions feel free to contact us. AllergiesInfo is always here for your help, guidance, and safety. Stay Healthy!